I’ve been doing a lot of searching for maternity fashions, trying to keep my hopes up that I’ll need some of these soon. The great thing is, it’s not like when our moms or grandmothers were pregnant. People no longer need to hide their bump under moo moos and baby doll tops. The bad news is that some of the trends that are working in regular fashion are automatically transferred into maternity fashions. Do these same styles work for pregnant women? I don’t know. I have a memory from when I was a little girl being in the poconos at a store with either my mom or my grandmother and I saw a young, pregnant woman in a white t-shirt and a pair of overalls. I remember thinking she looked adorable. Well, I’m going through IVF just in time for overalls to come back in style. WAIT…overalls are back in style?! What?? I’m not even sure if this is good or bad. Please don’t tell me scrunchies are coming back.
1. Overalls – I’m not sure if this trendy or not. My thoughts are maybe it could work with a tank or t-shirt for the spring/summer months. In the fall/winter maybe put a sweater underneath with thick colored tights and ankle booties with a nice scarf.
2. Horizontal Stripes – I LOVE stripes. However, I’ve always been told horizontal stripes make people look wider. Is that what a pregnant woman really wants? Or, is it more about stripes being super stylish? Personally, I would wear stripes, but I know there are women out there who wouldn’t.
3. Leather-look Leggings – Chelsea Clinton recently wore leather leggings (I’m sure they were real not imitation) to a function. Leather leggings/skinnies are in style recently. I’m pretty sure you can buy a non-maternity, legit leather pair for $398 at Victoria’s Secret or something crazy like that. But what about when you’re preggo? H&M has an affordable imitation leather legging. Is this style too bad ass for pregnancy or because you’re doing something as bad ass as growing a human could you for sure pull them off?
4. Kimonos – I’ve noticed on Pinterest that many pregnant, stylish women have been spotted wearing shear kimonos over tanks/t-shirts with leggings or skinny jeans or over a simple dress. Is a kimono the new cardigan? If it is, someone needs to tell me ASAP. I’m the cardigan queen. Seriously, I wear one every day. The kimono looks like a dressy/airy version.
5. Pregnancy Graphic Tees – I’ve never been much of a fan of graphic t-shirts. However, I love this one for pregnancy and ones that just say ‘Preggers‘ and ‘Mama Bear‘ However, there are some that I find really tacky, like the ones stating for people to keep their hands off the bump or ‘my mommy doesn’t want your advice’.
6. Bikinis – I think it’s great that bikinis are now acceptable for pregnant women. I don’t own a single one piece or tankini and really don’t want to have to own one. As long as it’s supportive enough at the top and covering high enough on the bottoms, I think bikinis are a go!
I personally think I would wear all of these items while pregnant, but I know there are some out there who would judge me for that, or judge others, or just wouldn’t feel comfortable wearing these clothes. What are your maternity fashion must-haves and what would you avoid?